Having a business license in Tanzania is one of the necessities required by law to operate any business in the country. A business license is any license or permission that a country or other government organization requires in order for a business to operate. For a range of commercial operations, federal, state, and municipal governments issue numerous sorts of business licenses and permits.
The sorts of business licenses you’ll need to lawfully operate your company are determined by where it’s located and what kind of company it is.
About Business Licensing
The Business Licensing Act No. 25 of 1972 is the Main Act for Business Licensing Processes in Tanzania. The Act requires that No Entity is required to operate a Business in Tanzania without being a Holder of a Valid Business License issued by the Respective Authority. In Tanzania, Business Licenses are issued by two Authorities namely Business Registration and Licensing Agency for Class “A” Business Licenses and Local Government Authorities (LGAs) for Class B Licenses.
Requirements For Obtaining A Business License
For Any Entity to Obtain a Business License, it should have: –
- Acquired a Business Premise by Renting or Owning a Premise
- Register a Company or a Business Name to the Business Registration and Licensing Agency (BRELA)
- Register for Tax Identification Number (TIN) to Tanzania Revenue Authority (TRA) (Link to TRA website be provided)
- Register to the Sector Ministry/ Agency for the Permit to operate in the sector
- Apply for a Business License at Ministry of Industry Trade and Investment (MITI) of Local Government Authorities (LGAS) (Link to the Sector and Business License type Schedule)
- Pay for the Business License Fee depending on the type of Business (Link to The Business License Fee Schedule) Fees is paid through Bank
Application Requirements for Business License Issued under Ministry of Industry Trade and Investment and Local Government Authorities (District, Town/Municipal or City Councils):
- Fill the Business License Application Form (TFN 211) (Online Link be Provided and/ or Downloadable PDF Form)
- Attach photocopy of Certificate of incorporation (in case of a Company) or Certificate of Registration and Extract in case of Business Names,)
- Attach a Photocopy of Memorandum and Articles of Association showing among other things that objects of the company allows it to do the business which is being applied, Directors and Shareholders of the Company;
- Proof of Tanzania citizenship by attaching -Photocopy of passport, birth certificate or Affidavit, and in case of non-citizens attach a photocopy of Residence Permit Class A” -showing the holder to be investor in that company/business
- In case the shareholders of the company are non-residents, Powers of Attorney to citizen/Residence should be submitted/attached,
- Proof by the applicant having a suitable business premises for the business applied. The following can be submitted as a proof, a copy of title deed, Tenancy agreement etc.
- Proof of Registration for Tax Payment from TRA by attaching a copy of TIN Certificate and Business License Tax Clearance Certificates;
From the Ministry of Tourism and Natural Resources for Businesses of Tourist Hotels and Lodges, Tourist Agents, Tour Operators, Car Rental, Car hire, Hunting Safaris, Photographic Safaris, Tourist Camp sites, Travel Agents/ Air ticketing, Tour Guides, Mountain Climbing, Balloon Safaris, Handling Agents, Curio shops, Air charter services (check with TCAA).
From Tanzania Insurance Regulatory Authority (TIRA) for businesses of Insurance and Assurance, Insurance Brokers, Insurance Agents, Underwriting and Loss Assessment.
From Bank of Tanzania (BOT) for businesses of Banking, Bureau De Change and Microfinance Institutions..
Capital Market License
From Capital Market and Security Authority (CMSA) for businesses of Stock Exchange Broker.
Telecommunication and Broadcasting
From Tanzania Communication Regulatory Authority (TCRA) for the Businesses of Telecommunication equipment and Services, Postal and Courier Services, Radio and Television Broadcasting (Frequency User Licenses) , Internet Service Providers, Internet cafe, Network facilities, Network services, Application Services, Content Services, Installation and Maintenance of Telecoms, Import and Distribution of Telecom equipment and Numbering Resources..
From the Ministry of Minerals and Energy for the Businesses of Minerals Legislation, Reconnaissance or Mineral Inspection, Mineral Prospecting, Mining Explosive Dealers License from the Ministry of Minerals and Energy for the Businesses of Provision of Explosive services to Mining sites and Mining Companies.
Import & Export License
From the Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock and Fisheries for the business of importing and exporting such products.
Tanzania Shipping Agencies Corporation (TASAC) for Shipping, Shipping Agents, Port and Harbor Operators, Cargo Tallying and Evaluation, Cargo Handling, and Water Sport Facilities; Tanzania Ports Authority (TPA) for Ship Chandlers, Miscellaneous Port Services, Stevedoring and Lighterage.
Land Transport License
Surface and Marine Transportation Regulatory Authority (SUMATRA) for Railway Operators, Freight Forwarders, Cargo Consolidation and De-consolidation, Railway Transportation, Goods Transportation by Road, and Passengers Transportation by Road.
Tanzania Civil Aviation Authority (TCAA) provides Air Transportation, Air Charter, Aerial Work Services, Air Balloon Services, and Ground Handling Services.
Electricity production and supply businesses, electrical contractors, and electricity standby generators are all covered by the Energy and Water Utility Regulatory Authority (EWURA).
Water Production and Supply, Water Sewerage Services, Water Sales and Marketing, and Sewerage Transmission and Disposal from the Energy and Water Utility Regulatory Authority (EWURA).
Water Drilling Permit from the Ministry of Water and Irrigation for Water Drilling and Supply Businesses;
From the Tanzania Gaming Board for the operations of casinos, slot machines, lotteries, and betting games, the manufacture of gaming equipment, and the sale and distribution of gaming equipment and accessories.
Arms Dealers License
From Tanzania’s Gaming Board for Casinos, Slot Machines, Lotteries, and Betting Games, as well as the manufacture, sale, and distribution of gaming equipment and accessories.
For the businesses of refining crude oil, importing and selling petroleum products, wholesale petroleum products, and retail petroleum product sales, from the Energy and Water Utility Regulatory Authority (EWURA);
Contact us today to get assistance for applying for a business license in Tanzania.